SHMD Current Recipients
To learn more about recipients click on their name to watch their video. Videos are added as they become available.
* ALS Regional Center — The organization hopes to purchase a speech-generating device for those with ALS who are totally paralyzed.
* Alzheimer’s Association of Northeastern NY — Its mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through research and provide care and supports for all affected.
* Angel Names Association — ANA assists the families of stillborn children by providing financial assistance for end-of-life expenses and counseling and provides funding for stillbirth research.
* Brian Bradley — The 44-year-old was diagnosed with multiple system atrophy. He has lost nearly all use of his right hand and is in constant pain.
* C.R. Wood Cancer Center at Glens Falls Hospital — Its mission is to improve the health and well-being of the people in the community.
* Caritas Inc. — The organization needs financial support to continue its services as its income is solely based on donations, grants and fundraising.
* Christopher Johnston — The 25-year-old was in a car accident in 2014 that killed his wife and severely injured his child. The money will be used to pay for bills and hospital expenses.
* Cindy’s Comfort Camp — The organization’s mission is to provide a respite weekend camp for children of ages 6-16 who are living with a sibling or parent dealing with a serious illness or who have experienced the death of a sibling or parent.
* Creative Kidz Cafe of Upstate NY — The mission of the nonprofit organization is to support children and families of children with autism through art, yoga, and music.
* Danielle Darrow — The 47-year-old was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and needs money for expenses.
* David Joseph Thompson — The 46-year-old has pneumonia and lung and brain cancer. The family needs money for its monthly expenses.
* Duane Hafley — The 55-year-old has chronic Hepatitis C infection from a blood transfusion, liver damage, chronic pain, depression and chronic fatigue from all his medications. He needs a functioning car to get him to his appointments.
* Eddie Ryan — The 31-year-old veteran of the U.S. Marines was shot twice in the head, once in his lower jaw and once above his eye while serving in Iraq. He needs a home health aide for 24-7 care.
* Emma North — The 12-year-old girl was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease and fetal alcohol syndrome. Her adopted mother’s only income is from disability and money is needed to fund trips to Boston for doctor appointments every three months.
* Epidermolysis Bullosa Research Partnership — The organization works to treat and cure EB, which is a rare genetic connective tissue disorder that causes skin to blister and tear from minor friction or trauma.
* Family of Benjamin R. Simpson — Support for the family of the 32-year-old man, who died in January after battling an unknown illness.
* Family of Melvin Jacobie — The family needs money for the funeral expenses for Jacobie, who died because of a workplace accident on Jan. 1.
* Family of Michael Thiel — The 39-year-old was diagnosed with Stage 4 Epethelioid Sarcoma, which is a cancer of the body’s connective tissue.
* Habitat for Humanity of Northern Saratoga/Warren/Washington Counties — Funding would be used for a project to build a home for a former South High student and her daughter.
* Helen Cordiale — The 51-year-old was diagnosed with lupus and severe arthritis, knee deformities and fibromyalgia. She needs a scooter to help her get around and a handicapped ramp.
* Kaitlyn Daniels — The 27-year-old mother of two has Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
* Karen Rose — The 51-year-old woman has breast cancer that metastasized into lymph nodes and is currently receiving treatments in Albany Medical Center. Funds received will be used to offset expenses related to her treatments as she’s only been able to return to work on a part time basis
* Keyon Jace Marshall — The 7-month-old was born with some missing ribs and a curved spine. The family has very limited income.
* Leo Ross — The 68-year-old man has had two heart attacks and needs to travel to Boston for regular checkups. He will be undergoing a heart transplant when one becomes available.
* Lyme Action Network — The organization raises awareness about Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
* Maddison Lepine — The 1-year-old was born with kidneys and other organs in the wrong places and underwent surgeries for infections and organ placement. The family also has a 4-year-old who has had three open heart surgeries.
* Marina Maldonado — The 32-year-old woman has been diagnosed with Lupus, already had a liver transplant when she was 24 and now needs another one, needs money to pay off her car and handle other bills so she can move to the city to get her transplant.
* Mary Johnson — The 53-year-old woman was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002 and has battled it four times.
* Missy Howe — The 36-year-old woman was diagnosed with a rare form of marginal zone lymphoma of the spleen. Her illness is keeping her out of work and the family needs money for trips to New York City for chemotherapy treatments and appointments.
* Nora Johnston — The 2-year-old was diagnosed with liver cancer at 5 1/2 months.
* Rebuilding Together Saratoga County — The organization brings volunteers and communities together to improve the homes and lives of home owners in need.
* Rhonda Barnes — The 47-year-old was diagnosed with advanced multiple myeloma cancer, which is a form of bone cancer. She needs money for a stem cell transplant and a bone marrow transplant as well as the cost of traveling to Boston once per month for treatment.
* Sandra Wilkins — The 69-year-old was diagnosed with Stage 3 pancreatic cancer. The funding is needed to support hospital stays and chemotherapy treatments.
* Southern Adirondack Independent Living Center — The organization promotes the independence, equality and dignity of people with disabilities in all aspects of personal and community life.
* Stephen Farrell — The 34-year-old man was diagnosed with Scheuermann’s Disease, which gives people a hunched back.
* Suzanne Poudrier — The 63-year-old woman was diagnosed with a glioblastoma brain tumor and has had 99 percent of tumor removed. She needs money for unexpected medical costs and for a 24-7 nurse.
* The Open Door Mission — Its mission is to help homeless and the needy around the city of Glens Falls.
* To Life! Saratoga — The organization educates people about breast cancer detection, treatments and related health matters and provides support services to breast cancer patients, caregivers, family and friends.
* Toni Lyng — The 44-year-old was diagnosed originally with state 4 triple negative breast cancer. Funding would help support ongoing medical expenses. * Town of Moreau Recreation — The money would pay for two or three items to start the park, including a swing for wheelchairs, a slide with a ramp and a digger and sand area.